Since 2010, over 5000 dogs (and their owners!) have taken lessons with our team of talented trainers. Today, we have two dedicated facilities in Toronto, a team of three talented and certified instructors, a keen group of volunteers, and run over 40 hours of group classes per week. We are recommended by veterinarians, dog walkers, and other industry professionals, and thanks to the success of our alumni and their referrals, are growing rapidly.
Values that Define When Hounds Fly
Force-Free Training – We strive to employ the most humane, least-invasive, minimally aversive training methods that are both scientifically proven to be most effective, but also strengthen relationships that people have with their pet dogs. This philosophy extends beyond the classroom into the way we train our own dogs.
Continuing Education – We invest in our team and dedicate time to invest in continuing education seminars such as ClickerExpo (Attended in 2015, and will again in 2017), webinars, online courses studying under experts (Such as Dr. Susan Friedman) , and regional workshops.
Teaching Excellence – As instructors of dog training, our learners are people who own dogs. Therefore, we strive to be bold communicators and memorable storytellers. We take dog training concepts and convey them in creative, fun, and clear ways to make learning a fun and enjoyable experience.
Commitment to Animal Welfare – We believe that humane training is just as important as a healthy diet, physical exercise, a loving home, and veterinary care. Our commitment to animal welfare extends to the treatment of other species, which is why many of our staff and volunteers are vegetarian or vegan.
Dog Training Instructor, Full Time or Part Time Available
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Are you an expert at clicker training? Perhaps you have graduated from organizations such as the Karen Pryor Academy, Pat Miller Academy, or Jean Donaldson’s Academy for Dog Trainers?
Does the thought of getting on front of an audience to talk about your passion – clicker training – excite you? Do you have the ability to captivate an audience, entertain them, and motivate them to work hard?
If so, please read on!
We are looking for an experienced professional to join our team as a Dog Training Instructor.
What we offer:
- A career where you get to work with pet dog owners who are excited and eager to learn how to clicker train
- The ability to focus on the teaching and coaching aspects of dog training (instead of having to worry about marketing, operations, and financial management)
- A continuing education budget to attend seminars and workshops each year
- A supportive environment where like-minded clicker trainers work together to create awesome experiences for our students
- Teaching Puppy Socialization and Foundation Skills group classes out of our Dundas West and/or Pape Village locations
- Visiting our clients in their homes for private 1 on 1 lessons
- Running New Student Orientations to introduce our newest clients to the principles behind clicker training
- Responding to client inquiries via email and periodically phone in a timely manner
- Mentoring and coaching our team of volunteers to help them enhance their skills
- Identifying opportunities to enhance all aspects of our operations – teaching, curriculum, marketing, internal processes, and training techniques
- Investing in continuing education by reading books, watching DVDs and webinars, and attending training conferences
- Working service industry hours – We work weekday evenings and weekend mornings/afternoons.
All Candidates Should Have:
- 1-2 years experience working as a dog training instructor working with pet dog owners
- 3+ years experience clicker training their own dog(s)
- Completed coursework, workshops, and seminars, with a heavy emphasis on clicker training
- Post Secondary education consisting of a college diploma or degree
- The ability to lift 50 lbs, or generally be strong, dextrous, and coordinated enough to restrain or time-out a large puppy during Puppy Socialization class playtime, or catch and hold a runaway Great Dane going to visit another dog in Foundation Skills class.
Ideal Candidates Have:
- Certifications from the Karen Pryor Academy (KPA CTP), Pat Miller Academy, or Jean Donaldson’s Academy for Dog Trainers
- Testing certifications such as CDPT-KA
- 3+ years experience working as a dog training instructor, either self-employed or as an employee of a reputable force-free dog training company
- Extensive experience presenting and teaching to groups and audiences
- Practical and theoretical knowledge on behaviour modification for fear, anxiety, and aggression issues (Leash reactivity, Separation Anxiety, Resource Guarding, etc.) and have case study examples of successful outcomes with their own dogs, or clients’ dogs
- Have extensive CEUs from attending events such as ClickerExpo, APDT Annual Education Conference, etc.
- Titled their own dogs in dog sports such as Agility, Rally Obedience, etc.
How to Apply
Please email email@example.com with the following:
- Your resume
- Indicate your preference for Full Time or Part Time work
- If Part Time, please indicate your availability and # of hours per week you are interested in
- Your salary or wage expectations
- Your training portfolio (videos of you clicker training at your best)
Thank you for your interest!