Prerequisites: Completion of Foundation Skills at When Hounds Fly. We regret that we no longer accept students from other schools, even if they are clicker trained.
When Hounds Fly is pleased to offer Scent Detection classes. Have you wondered how dogs are trained to detect bed bugs, specific flora and fauna, or contraband (narcotics, explosives, etc.)? In this class, we will teach you how to train your dog to be motivated to search for, detect, and indicate they have found a specific scent.
The class curriculum is organized around preparing your dog to participate in a Designated Odour Test (DOT) and the target odour we will default to is Wintergreen.
Basic equipment and supplies for training are included in the class fees:
- Four vented containers
- Odour Tin and Storage
- Supply of Wintergreen Q-Tips
- Tweezers and Gloves
Virtual Students must obtain their own equipment, most is from the Dollar Store, other than Essential Oil:
- Wintergreen Essential Oil (or whichever odour you wish to train for)
- Airtight jar to store scented q-tips
- Tweezers and gloves to handle odour
- 4 x Cosmetic tins, or Tupperware containers (condiment sized), with holes cut in top
- Blu-tack adhesive
- Handling and preparing scent, scent tins, and cold and hot boxes
- Building motivation to conduct search work
- Building commitment to remain and indicate the detection of the target odour
- Practicing for your Designated Odour Test (DOT)
Program Tuition: $240 per dog plus HST