Classroom Assistants (Volunteer)
- Commit to once-weekly assistant shifts at one of our brick and mortar facilities in Toronto, either evenings or weekends for about 3.5 hours
- Arrive punctually (approximately 10 minutes before class start) to assist with the setup of the classroom
- Greet students, confirm registration, ask Covid-19 screening questions and direct students to their class
- Help students clean up accidents
- Direct all and any training-related questions asked of students to the instructor on staff
- Help with end of class closing (tidy up, vacuum, replace items neatly)
- The ability to lift 50 lbs, or generally be strong, dexterous, and coordinated enough to restrain or time-out a large puppy during Puppy Socialization class playtime, or catch and hold a runaway Great Dane going to visit another dog in Foundation Skills class.
- Are obsessed with dog training! You already read books, watch videos, read blogs, listen to podcasts, subscribe to YouTube channels, and are passionate about learning.
- Have 2-3 years work experience, demonstrating you are professional, reliable, and committed
- Have work experience where you are customer-facing, and are comfortable with speaking with people
- Have experience in clicker training dogs, either from being a past When Hounds Fly student, or from other avenues
- Think that getting into our Internship Program, becoming an Apprentice Trainer, certifying and become a KPA Certified Training Partner, and eventually having our jobs would the best thing ever.
- A perfect or very high Scheduled vs. Attended Ratio of volunteer shifts
- A perfect or very high ratio of punctual attendance (arriving 10 minutes before the start of the first class)
- A high ratio of self-started activity within boundaries of the role, vs. activity that has to be prompted
- Percentage completion of our reading/viewing list of dog training resources
- Amount of application of skills learned with your own dog/a dog you have access to
How to Apply:
Please send in a cover letter, and resume, and if applicable, training video reel to firstname.lastname@example.org
and also complete our online Topgrading Career History Form (Web Form)
About When Hounds Fly
Since 2010, over 10,000 dogs (and their families!) have taken dog training classes with us. We are proud to offer the highest quality instruction and classroom experience for Toronto dog owners that want the very best for their pups. Our mission is to strengthen relationships between pet dogs and their owners by providing outstanding owner-education on humane training and behaviour modification techniques.
One of our core values is to Welcome Diversity, and we welcome all people to be their authentic selves both in our classroom and on our team. This includes, but is not limited to, welcoming people of all age, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, ability, race, or place of origin.