This is for you if…
You can finish the four week program before your larger-breed dog finishes by 16 weeks, and your smaller-breed dog can finish by 20 weeks. That means you’re on the ball and you’ve applied for admission as soon as you get your 8 week old puppy, or even before they’ve left the breeder.
Four classes, once a week. Classes are organized around basic clicker training exercises, best-practice advice and exercises to raise your puppy, and structured on and off-leash socialization and playtime with your puppy’s classmates.
- Puppy Topic: Nipping and Mouthing/Appropriate Play
- Socialization Exercise: Resource Guarding/Food Bowl Safety
- Training: Walk with Me
- Puppy Topic: Visiting the Vet and the Groomers
- Socialization Exercise: Accepting Handling, Restraint, Grooming
- Training: Lay Down
- Puppy Topic: Preventing Fear, Anxiety, and Aggression
- Socialization Exercise: Exploring Strange Objects and Sounds
- Training: Polite Greetings
- Puppy Topic: Alone-Time Training / Housetraining
- Socialization Exercise: Practice being left alone
- Training: Hand Targeting (Touch)
Why It’s Important
To reduce the likelihood of a puppy growing up and developing fear, anxiety, or aggression problems, it is important that prior to complete vaccinations, the puppy must have a rich socialization history. A well-run puppy socialization class is a key component of that.
Puppies without complete vaccination should not be taken to dog parks or dog daycares mixed with adult dogs. Therefore, a puppy socialization class with strict age limitations in a sanitized environment is a crucial component to early socialization towards a variety of breeds of dogs.
The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior believes it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated. Do not wait till your puppy has received all their boosters, or else they will likely be too old to participate in our program.
Program Tuition: $150 per dog plus HST
Apply for Admission
We would be pleased to review your application to our program. To begin the admissions process, please click here.