Date Posted: July 16, 2020
Update: July 26, 2020
Thank you for all interested applicants! At this time we are no longer accepting applications for our August group.
- Twice weekly attendance to learn in the live classroom at one of our three facilities in Toronto
- Complete extensive reading and viewing lists, as well as written and oral assignments to test comprehension
- Participate in online discussion groups with your cohort and senior instructor
- Participate in 8 half-day in-person workshops facilitated by one of our senior instructors at one of our facilities in Toronto
- Have access to a pet dog for training and periodic show-and-tells at the in-person workshops
- Complete a practical and theoretical skills assessment towards the end of the program
Program Learning Objectives:
- Confidence and ability to teach in-person group classes such as Puppy Socialization and Foundation Skills
- Confidence and ability to deliver that content in-person via 1-on-1 lessons
- Sufficient knowledge of applied behaviour analysis to troubleshoot many common pet dog owner challenges
- Sufficient knowledge of clicker training to skillfully train pet dogs to perform many behaviours
- Sufficient knowledge of teaching techniques to coach pet dog owners to do the same
Compliance with Employment Standards Act
Our Internship program is truly about providing training and learning opportunities that exist no where else, to help create the next generation of talented, positive reinforcement-based dog trainers. As such, this program meets all the conditions of an Internship as specified by the ESA:
- The training is similar to that which is given in a vocational school;
- The training is for the benefit of the individual;
- The person providing the training derives little, if any, benefit from the activity of the individual while he or she is being trained;
- The individual does not displace employees of the person providing the training;
- The individual is not accorded a right to become an employee of the person providing the training; and
- The individual is advised that he or she will receive no remuneration for the time that he or she spends in training.
How to Apply:
Please send in a cover letter, and resume, and if applicable, training video reel to firstname.lastname@example.org
and also complete our online Topgrading Career History Form (Web Form)
About When Hounds Fly
Since 2010, over 9000 dogs (and their families!) have taken dog training classes with us. We are proud to offer the highest quality instruction and classroom experience for Toronto dog owners that want the very best for their pups. Our mission is to strengthen relationships between pet dogs and their owners by providing outstanding owner-education on humane training and behaviour modification techniques.
One of our core values is to Welcome Diversity, and we welcome all people to be their authentic selves both in our classroom and on our team. This includes, but is not limited to, welcoming people of all age, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, ability, race, or place of origin.