Does your child have a interest in learning about animals, especially the family dog? Ignite their passion in dog training and help them strengthen their relationship with their canine companion with our Junior Dog Trainer Program.
Our Junior Dog Trainer Program is designed to introduce youth aged 11-15 to both the theoretical and applied aspects of positive reinforcement based dog training.
Learning Objectives/Learning Outcomes (What will students get from this class)
Students will get the chance to:
- Learn why dogs do what they do. Let’s explore the foundations of dog behaviour together.
- Learn the methods professional trainers use to teach dogs new things.
- Get to know your best friend even better. Let’s play games to strengthen bonds and build trust.
- Develop problem solving skills. Learn what to do when your dog does things you don’t like!
- Clicker mechanics
- Reinforcement / punishment
- Luring, capturing, targeting and shaping
- Enrichment and relationship building games
- Problem solving basics
About the Instructor:
This program will be taught by Erin Britton, who in addition to being one of our instructors for our core programs, also has a degree in General Science and Education and has classroom experience teaching young learners in this age category.
Schedule and Details
- Junior Trainers is not yet scheduled for 2021. Please check back!
$240 (plus HST) per dog/human participant team
Age Requirements (Humans and Dogs)
- Human learners: Ages 11 to 15
- Dog learners: 16 weeks and up
This class is NOT designed for
- Socializing young puppies or adult dogs
- Addressing fear, anxiety or aggression problems in dogs
Equipment and Materials Needed:
- Reliable Internet connection and device that is compatible with Zoom, with ability for your camera to frame the dog and student clearly
- Ample supply of food reinforcement / treats
- Leash and harness for the dog
- Dog toys
OK, I’m Ready To Go!
- Please click below to fill out our Admissions Form
- Please note that we require applicants (the junior trainers, themselves) to also submit a brief 1 minute or less video submission answering the question “Why do you want to take this program?”
- Approved admissions will then be directed to pay; once payment is received, the spot is secured