Updated on May 30, 2017
All Group Classes
Suitability for Group Classes:
- Dogs must not display aggressive or disruptive behavior towards other dogs or other people in class.
- Dogs must be healthy and free from contagious disease, bitches in heat are not permitted in class.
- While the whole family, including young children are welcome, Handlers must be at least 10 years of age; handlers under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Dogs must be 16 weeks or younger on the date of first class for Puppy Socialization, 16 weeks or older on the date of first class for Foundation Skills
- Vaccinations: For Puppy Socialization, one set of vaccinations and first deworming; vaccination schedule maintained per vet during duration of program. For Foundation Skills, current Rabies vaccination is required for dogs 6 months or older.
- If instructors determine a dog is inappropriate for group classes, we reserve the right to remove the dog and handler from the program.
- Remaining/unused class fees can be applied as a credit towards private lessons to address the fear/aggression issues causing the disruptive behavior. The client is responsible for the additional difference between our private lesson package fees and the unused class fee credit.
- The client may also opt for a pro-rated refund if they wish to not pursue private lessons with When Hounds Fly- this must be requested within 14 days from the dog’s removal from classes.
- Disruptive behaviors include (but are not limited to): Excessive barking, lunging, attempts to bite other dogs or people.
- If instructors determine a handler is disruptive or inappropriate for group classes, we reserve the right to remove the handler from the program.
General Class Policies (All Classes):
- Classes are approximately 50 minutes in duration.
- We start on-time or may delay the start by up to five minutes depending on weather and traffic conditions.
- We typically conclude classes after 45-50 minutes of training, although at the discretion of the trainer, may shorten the class duration if the dogs are fatigued.’
Dundas West and Pape Village Start Any Time Classes (Puppy Socialization, Foundation Skills)
- Refunds are available prior to first class (defined as a occupying a working spot with your dog on a scheduled class) within 30 days of paying. Once a class is booked and occupied, refunds are not available. After 30 days, refunds are not available.
Program Completion Timeframe:
- Programs must be initiated within 6 months of attending orientation and paying for class.
- Classes must be utilized within the respective program timeframe (5 weeks or 8 weeks)
- Extensions are automatically granted if a program overlaps with a scheduled school closure (i.e. long weekend/Winter Holiday closure).
- Handlers may remove themselves from the online class calendar up to 24 hours prior to the start of class and not consume one of their class bookings.
- Failure to cancel a reserved spot on the calendar means that class slot is forfeited/used against your program’s total available class bookings.
- Extensions to your program can be granted for the following two conditions: a) Bitch in heat b) Quarantine due to contagious illness, provided proof is supplied from veterinarian.
- “Fair Use Exception” – Unfortunately due to the abuse of this policy in the past, we reserve the right to suspend this policy to specific students who utilize this option excessively.
Fixed Schedule Classes (Tricks, Rally Obedience, Scent Detection, etc.)
Confirmation of Booking/Registration:
- Linear classes are booked by pre-registration and pre-payment online via Paypal/Credit Card, not through the Modular Class booking calendar.
- As capacity is limited, book early to avoid disappointment.
- You will receive a personalized email confirming your registration a few days after your online purchase.
- Refunds are available 30 days prior to the start of a linear program. After 30 days, refunds are not available.
Missed Classes/Makeup Classes:
- Linear classes do not have makeup lessons available.
- If you are available, but your dog is not (i.e. due to illness/injury), you can always attend a class without your dog to audit, and practice at home.
Private Lessons/Behavior Consults
Suitability for Private Lessons:
- Dogs must be up to date on vaccinations per our Group Class policy.
Confirmation of Booking/Registration:
- Due to our limited availability for private training, payment must be made in advance to hold your reservations.
- Cancellations/Rescheduling require at least 48 hours notice, otherwise your prepayment is forfeited.
- Initial consults are always 90 minutes in length. Followup consults are a minimum of 60 minutes in length.
- For cases involving fearful/aggressive behaviors, clients must sign up for two sessions (one 90 minute, one 60 minute) in advance.
Private Lesson/Consult Completion Timeframe:
- All consults must be used within 6 months of payment, otherwise they are forfeited.
- No Refunds/Exchanges are permitted.
Teacher in Training Classes
Suitability for Teacher in Training Classes
- Dogs must be current students or recent graduates of Puppy Socialization or Foundation Skills class at When Hounds Fly.
- Puppies should have received their third and final Distemper/Parvo vaccination to attend the Teacher in Training Foundation Skills class as it is a mixed group of dogs, not a Puppy Socialization class.
- Dogs that are not current students or recent graduates of our programs will be refused entry.
- Students who have paid for either Foundation Skills for First Timers or Foundation Skills for Puppy Socialization Graduates may attend up to 3 Teacher in Training Classes.
- Students who have paid for only Puppy Socialization may attend only 1 Teacher in Training Class.
- Pay What You Can: Proceeds collected at this class will be donated to a rescue or animal welfare organization of our choice.
Curriculum and Scope Limitations
- The exercises taught in this class is limited in scope to Foundation Skills exercises.
- The exercises chosen for a particular class is determined by the instructor and unfortunately we cannot accommodate specific requests.
- Instructions and advice given in this class is limited in scope to Foundation Skills exercises and related training scenarios. Advice outside of the scope of the curriculum cannot be given. Instead, please ask an instructor in a regular stream class. Depending on the nature of the question and severity of the situation, you may be requested to invest in private lessons.